Tuesday, April 17, 2012

First trip to Paris

Web shopping for hotels in june. Need help to choose the best area for Paris beginners. Mostly surfing for hotels in 7 and 8 area. Dont%26#39; know why... My budget is â¬150 pr night. 2 persons.




|||



Read these boards most posters will recommend hotels in the 4 5 or 6th for first timers , very central.




|||



Thank you. I will try to re-surf.


Where is the %26quot;center%26quot; of Paris?




|||



I understand what you%26#39;re going through. Last August I booked a hotel/airfare package from the U.S. two days before departure and had no idea what we%26#39;d get. As it turned out, we couldn%26#39;t have gotten a better deal on our budget. We got a non-stop flight and 11 nights in a small, basic but clean hotel with friendly staff, air conditioning (we specified this as it was August) and when we got there were told we would have a full buffet breakfast included. We were only blocks away from the Louvre and down the street from the metro stop and the Pont Neuf which took us to the left bank. Thank you Expedia! The hotel was the Tonic Hotel du Louvre. Rooms vary so ask for one at the front of the hotel on the 2nd floor,if you try this. The room had a double bed and a modern bathroom.



A tiny elevator and back staircase provided safe exits. This is in the 1er--very central. 7 and 8 are not nearly as convenient. Check out Frommer%26#39;s Portable Paris for other listings but stick to the 1er, 4er,5er and 6er. These will keep you centrally located if you stay close to the river. It%26#39;s the best way to get to other interesting sections of Paris and also to take a stroll at night along the Seine.





. It%26#39;s a great resource and be sure to carry a flexible map.




|||



For my money, the 4th and 5th are it.



I have stayed in one or the other for



5 visits to Paris.





Metros VERY convenient





Can walk to the Right Bank VERY easily.





Paris central is 1-7 arrondisements.




|||



This map helped me before my first trip to Paris, and it has many hotel suggestions. Look for the hotel review on TA and then select...or at least narrow it down. The site also lists the hotel by arrondisement. Hope it helps:



www.123france.com/123/en/hotels-villes.php…




|||



I still get a kick out of everybody worrying about being in central Paris. Geographically, Paris is quite small and as long as you stay in an area with an abundance of Metro stops, everything is easily in reach in a matter of minutes.





When I walk out my front door in the Batignolles neighborhood of the 17th Arrondissement, I can be standing on the Avenue des Champs-Elysées within sight of Louis Vuitton in less than 15 minutes. I wonder how long that same trip takes for all you guys who obsess about staying in the Latin Quarter or St-Germain?




|||



Truffaut...I understand your point, but...you%26#39;re familiar with Paris! People who aren%26#39;t as familiar, who are nervous travelers, or who, like me, are %26quot;geographically dyslexic%26quot; (I can still get a bit lost even in towns familiar to me!!), there is much less chance of getting lost, disoriented, or confused if you stay somewhere that is closer to the spots you most want to go--especially for those who aren%26#39;t used to walking to their destinations and/or using a metro, subway, bus, or other large city transportation system.





Fortunately for me, hubby has practically memorized the Paris map we have and neither of us have an aversion to walking, so hopefully we%26#39;ll do fine when we%26#39;re in Paris for our very first time in May!




|||



The 8th near Madeleine is very central and has wide choice of metros and buses.




|||



Hi, Photographe. I haven%26#39;t seen you around lately. Have you been away somewhere exciting?




|||



Photographe,





I just assumed you were out doing



some of your great photography



somewhere.





Regardless, welcome back.





Randy

No comments:

Post a Comment