Thursday, April 19, 2012

French Franc's

Does anyone know whether it is still possible to change French Franc%26#39;s to Euro%26#39;s. I was just going thru an old wallet and found 150 French Francs. We will be going to Paris at the end of next week an thought I might be able to exchange them. I had some that I exchanged last time at the Bank of France, but that was 2 years ago.



Thanks Mike




|||



mjlip





I think the exchange period is over, but you can still try. The last time I exchanged francs which was two years ago, I had to go to a branch of the Bank of France - and I was told that I just made it under the wire - however, things change, and you never know- perhaps a local expert can help here --




|||



I think the exchange period is over. The only place if it is not over though would be the Banque de France, but i really think it is too late




|||



The last day to exchange coins for euros was the 17th of Feb 2005. Bills can be exchanged at the Banque de France untill the 17th of Feb 2012.




|||



Thank you everyone. I have 2 bills a 100 and a fifty. I will try at the Banque of France. I know where a brach is located near our hotel.





Mike




|||



%26gt;%26gt;%26gt;The last day to exchange coins for euros was the 17th of Feb 2005. Bills can be exchanged at the Banque de France untill the 17th of Feb 2012%26lt;%26lt;%26lt;





This is correct...and perhaps the most convenient Banque of France location in Paris will be the main retail branch at 39 Rue Croix des Petits Champs (at rue Coquilliere), 75001, Metro Palais Royale-Musée du Louvre





BANQUE de FRANCE--Franc-Euro Conversion--



banque-france.fr/gb/instit/billets/page1.htm




|||



I have been told that you can not exchange francs for euros at any branch of the Banque of France, instead you must go to the main HQ, which is located next to the Palais Royal.





Don%26#39;t bother to bring FF coins, they no longer can be exchanged. My experience last spring at the Banque of France to exchange was truly hilarious and, I%26#39;m not kidding, richly enhanced my experience in Paris: you enter this huge, massive open marble interior bank, it looks like something from an old 1930s movie that is parodying big banks.





In my case, I was one of just 3 customers in the lobby queued up to exchange money, and yet I still had to take a number to get service. Mind you, the bank is so big it could accommodate 3 thousand customers. You wait for your number to be displayed, accompanied by a gong or chime of some kind to signal %26quot;your turn.%26quot; It was the ultimate bureacratic experience...except it was really simple and easy, and the teller was very accommodating. But I really enjoyed the overdone grandiosity of the bank and the exchange experience, because it was so absurd, funny and very French. (If you%26#39;ve ever had your vacation interrupted by a strike of local unions, which I also have learned to accept as inevitable, and part of the absurdity and humor the French experience, you%26#39;ll know what I mean)




|||



Mike, We were in Paris in Dec 2005 and were able to exchange our bills. We had to go to the main branch near the Louvre (I guess Palais Royal location?) and there was a question about whether our 50 Franc bill was going to be accepted. Some 50 FF and 20 FF bills have been retired, but not all. I would take them all and hope for the best!! We had 1,000 FF, so we got quite a chunk of change!

No comments:

Post a Comment