Thursday, April 12, 2012

One day in Paris

We will be arriving by Eurostar for a one day excursion to Paris. We (husband and I in our 30%26#39;s) would like to see the biggies (Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, possibly a quick peak at Mona Lisa). I am a little nervous about trying to navigate in a country where neither one of us know any of the language. We are considering doing one of the open bus hop-on/hop-off tours. Is this our best option? Which one do you recommend? Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance, Susie




|||



Language is a minor hurdle. Be polite (not too loud), patient and understanding. You%26#39;ll get by fine.



I recommend walking. Eurostar lets you off at Gare du Nord. Take a bus or Metro over to Cathedrale Notre Dame (it%26#39;s all of a mile%26#39;s distance--you can walk this too). From there, a walk to the Eiffel Tower via the Mona Lisa in the Louvre is not much more than a couple miles. It%26#39;s a very nice walk too.



A taxi wouldn%26#39;t be a bad idea either, except that you%26#39;ll need to load up on euros. (The UK doesn%26#39;t use them.) The distances are so short, that its price premium over bus/Metro won%26#39;t be much.




|||



Hello SusieR.,



I once did the same trip from London to Paris via the Eurostar. If you didn%26#39;t already get your ticket, treat yourself to the first class ticket on that. It was very nice and spacious and they had wonderful service on board. I departed around 5 am from London, and by the end of the day in Paris I was winded.





I did the Louvre Museum, the Eiffel Tower, and travelled the Metro. It was far too fast and I was impressed with what I saw in Paris. I ended up at a cafe type of bar near the Eiffel and even missed my Eurostar going back to London, because I indulged just a bit too long at the cafe!!! I found a hotel close to the Eiffel that was reasonable, and departed the next morning on the first Eurostar out to London on the advice of the Eurostar counter. I arrived only a few minutes late for the night train but those things leave on time!





Upon arrival or departure, they have a nice personal showers area called %26#39;McClean%26#39; where you can take a nice reviving shower.



If this is your first time there you will really love it. I loved the nice sandwich shops that had all the sandwiches on display on very nice rolls and croissants. Very European! I loved it, and would love to return to Paris.





Here%26#39;s another tip, try to make your visit to the Eiffel near dusk, if you have the time because they light it up really nicely when it gets dark.





Enjoy!!





No comments:

Post a Comment