Sunday, April 15, 2012

Is Cannes quaint and charming or more city like?

I have just started looking into the area and I don%26#39;t know much about it. At present, I am trying to decide between Cannes and Antibes. I%26#39;m looking for a quaint area with good sandy beaches - A quaint town/village with markets, narrow streets, cafes, etc. I%26#39;m not interested in much siteseeing, but a romantic quaint environment and nice sandy beach. Does Cannes fit this description?





Thanks.




|||



There%26#39;s nothing quaint about Cannes-it%26#39;s an international resort city, although it does have some narrow streets and many cafés. It has a public sandy beach.





I much prefer Antibes, which has a lovely old section that%26#39;s fun to wander in. I%26#39;m not sure about a sandy beach, since we didn%26#39;t look for one, but you%26#39;ll find a very nice one just next door in Juan-les-Pins.




|||



I%26#39;m not aware of any sandy beaches in Antibes, but then I%26#39;m not a beach person and we have gotten into the habit of visiting the riviera at Thanksgiving, not exactly beach season anyway.





While Antibes isn%26#39;t my favorite town in the area, I do like it and it certainly does offer plenty of quaint, something you certainly won%26#39;t find in Cannes. I like the market street in Antibes a lot.




|||



Thanks for the replies. What%26#39;s your favorite town on the Riveria?




|||



Cannes is like Beverly Hills or La Jolla.



Antibes is what the French Riviera was like back in the 1960%26#39;s.



Beaches,two of the best sandy natural beaches in France.



1/4 of all the worlds superyachts dock in Antibes each Summer.



One of the reasons for travel is to personally experience charming places that may dissapear during your lifetime:these places are:Bali,Tahiti,and Antibes.



Next to Antibes is La Garoupe,where F.Scott



Fitzgerald and friends invented the idea of the FRench Riviera as a Summer destination.




|||



When were in Juan-les-Pins we made a point of visiting the %26quot;Fitzgerald beach,%26quot; having read about it in %26quot;Everybody Was So Young,%26quot; a great account of the American ex-pats in the South of France in the 1920%26#39;s.

No comments:

Post a Comment