Saturday, April 21, 2012

One thing not to miss in Provence

My wife and I are going to Provence in June for the first time. If you only had the opportunity to do or see one thing there, what would you make sure you did not miss?




|||



Don%26#39;t miss the smaller villages and their MARKETS !!Stay where you can easily travel to these villages on their market day.We stayed in St.Remy.



ie.St.Remy-de-Provence,Arles,Nimes,Il sur la Sorge(?sp.),Rousillon.



The%26quot;perched%26quot;villages are lovely...LesBaux..and my favourite of all,St.Paul-de-Vence.You can get a list of these off the net.



You will love Provence..no matter where you go or what you see...it truly is my favourite place.



Enjoy your trip !!



CRUISELADY




|||



I%26#39;d have to pick the Pont du Gard. It%26#39;s spectacular and so perfect in its setting that you might think someone had first built the aqueduct and then added the scenery around it.




|||



Thanks very much, Cruise Lady and Underhill. I appreciate your ideas. We can%26#39;t wait to go.




|||



Thanks very much, Cruise Lady and Underhill. I appreciate your ideas. We can%26#39;t wait to go.




|||



You%26#39;ll have a wonderful time in Provence--it%26#39;s a very special place.




|||



I hope you are planning to stay more than one day because that is not enough to see anything !



Seriously, don%26#39;t try to fit too much in, Provence is a relaxing place and the speed we move here is not the same as in the States or England. There is so much to see and I agree the Provencal markets are well worth a visit. The one we have in Isle Sur la Sorgue on the Sunday is probably the largest market held in Provence.You can buy everything including Antiques.The hill top vilages are also a must Gordes, Rousillion where the earth is red (ochre for the paints)



Good luck with your trip. If you need further help you can email me ,I live here!





escargot




|||



Thanks, Escargot. We are coming for three weeks with another couple. Our plan is to enjoy the area as much as possible and try to live as much like the locals but at the same time try to visit and experience Provence fully. The purpose of my question is to make sure we don%26#39;t miss something, whether it is a village, a restaurant or just an experience that we really should not miss. I appreciate your comment!




|||



Though crowded with many tourists at times, for the first timer, Les Baux, Roussillon, Pont du Gard are must sees.




|||



I figured I would ask somethign along similar lines so as to waste another topic. Advice, especially from escargot would be GREATLY appreciated. I will arrive in Marseille via TGV or plane on Fri Apr 7 and will go to Nice on Sun the 9th. I will rent a car unlles you think that is stupid. Should I base myself out of Marseilles or Aix-en(or where?). During the day I would like to see what is very worthy but personally I am more into markets and great food and just town vibe. Not sure how the lavender fields will be then but any great nature scenery recos would be welcome. I also am relatively young and like to go out at night, late. THX so much in advance.




|||



Gambit50, if you want to see the towns on the Cote d%26#39;Azur, it is easy to do that by train from Nice and, although other places might have greater charm, I like staying in Nice as it is quite an attractive town with some decent places to eat etc. My favourite hotel is the Hotel Windsor, with a nice inhouse dining room and garden with small pool.





dwilliams54, I second Les Baux de Provence and I third the Pont du Gard for spectacular sights for the first timer in the area. I also like Avignon, which could be worth a day and overnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment