Thursday, April 19, 2012

Paris in August

I heard a rumor that most Parisians leave town in August for vacation. If that is the case, what does that mean for us tourists? Are shops still open. Is this a good or bad time for a tourist in Paris.


Thanks




|||



I have gone in august serveral times. It is often HOT but other then that I would return at that time.My hotel rates were cheaper then June or September. All the main tourist sites ARE open, but, there are some nicer restaurants that may be closed, I personally didn%26#39;t have any particular one I had to go to , and with so many choices this did not bother me at all.



I am not a huge shopper, so found more then enough shops open, never really noticed many closed at all. I do think the august closures are getting less and less.



The line ups at the Lourve which I repeatly see mentioned here I just did not notice( I always entered through the mall and bought my ticket at the ticket machine) I never waited in any real line ups except at the Effiel, and even that was only about 20 minutes to CLIMB the stairs to the second level.



Tne minute line up at the Arc, not even really.





Versailles was crowded ( went on a weekend to see fountains) but so what, the grounds are huge so we rented bikes and got away from crowdes for awhile, very fun.





Anyways, price wise there are serveral advantages to August that are not there for April, June or September.




|||



It%26#39;s a good time to go. We live in Normandy, 2 hours west of Paris, and in July and August the Parisiens have left Paris for Normandy and Brittany. That leaves room for the rest of us to tour Paris in a bit more comfort! No probs with things being shut - not an issue. The Metro is quieter, the buses have more seats available. Can be hot (30-ish) but depends what you%26#39;re used to!





Phil (Ancinnes, Normandy/Pays de la Loire border)




|||



All museums and sites are open in August. So are the departments stores and 90% or more of all boutiques. On my street, the butcher closes his shop as well as 1 bakery and 1 convenient store. Rest is open.



It can be a little hot ... or not. There was a heatwave a couple of years ago but last August was more %26quot;normal%26quot;. I would recommend a hotel with AC so your room is cool when you go back to rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment