Thursday, March 29, 2012

Getting around Paris, Lyon, the French Riviera and back to...

My husband and I are visiting France for 7 nights, April 4 - 12. I%26#39;ve been to Paris once before, and plan to stay at the same hotel as last time, Hotel Observatoire in the Left Bank (I enjoyed it there, good location.) I would like to take a quick, guided tour of the city, just to get my bearings, but all of the tours I%26#39;ve seen are like $50 a person!



After 2 nights in Paris, the plan then is to take the train down to the French Riviera. (I need to figure out what trains/where to catch them, and should I make all of my train reservations in advance?)



I thought a 1 night stopover in Lyon might be a good idea, just to break up the long trip down. I don%26#39;t know much about Lyon though. A visit to a vineyard somewhere along the way would be great too!



Our base in the Riviera looks like it%26#39;ll be Nice. We enjoy the hussle and bussle towns rather than sleepy, quite areas. We also plan to visit Monaco and Cannes (I hear taking the bus to/from these towns is simple and not very far at all).



I%26#39;d like to take a different route back to Paris, just so we don%26#39;t see the same things both ways, but have no idea which other way to go. How long would a direct train be from Nice to Paris? The thought of renting a car for the ride back crossed my mind as well, but again, I have no idea how much time this would take.



I need lots of advice please!




|||



First of all, the TGV from paris to Nice takes a little over 6 hours; so there%26#39;s no need to break the trip in Lyon for a night. However, you can fly from Orly airport in just 1-1/2 hours and save the better part of a day for the Côte d%26#39;Azur. The Nice airport is quite near the town center--just as convenient as the train station.





Driving from Nice to Paris would take most of a day on the autoroute, and that%26#39;s a long trip with no time to stop and sightsee.





You%26#39;ll find plenty of hustle and bustle in Nice, and you can always go over to Cannes and Antibes as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment