Saturday, March 24, 2012

Has a thread gone missing?

Hi folks,


Just wondering what happened to the thread about the traveller worried about his family%26#39;s safety and possible antisemitism in France (Yes, I did do a search). Are threads actually removed on this forum?




|||



Yes, they can be removed and also posts can be removed. There are rules one must follow to post.





I have not been reading TA for a while but in the past this has happened. As well as threads have been closed to any more postings if they go off topic and result in personal attacks.




|||



Yes, big cissors are easy to be put into action on this board, especially on touchy subjects (politics, racism, etc. )




|||



I%26#39;m intrigued...



No %26#39;this thread has been removed by TripAdvisor%26#39; or anything...just *poof* and it%26#39;s gone.



Kind of TwilightZone-ish, no?




|||



You get a %26quot;this post has been removed%26quot; thingy if it%26#39;s just invididual posts within a thread. If they cut the first post in a thread, then everything%26#39;s gone.




|||



Had the conversation gone south? If so that%26#39;s probably why they removed it.





Les




|||



I can see removing the individual posts or stopping people from adding to it, since it did degrade rather fast. However, I think the original question was good to have on the board as I%26#39;m sure other people had similar questions (whether or not those of us in the peanut gallery felt that the feelings were justified) and the question and answers were a good resource for those people.




|||



Anyway, I%26#39;d hoped that the original poster (and I can%26#39;t remember his name) would notice this thread, but since he hasn%26#39;t popped his head in, here%26#39;s the reason I posted this:


Yesterday, for the first time since arriving in Paris, I heard my first anti-semitic comment. From an American tourist.


C%26#39;est la vie.




|||



Foolishtraveler,





Please don%26#39;t kid yourself. Anti-Semitism has been around in France for a long time and persists today. There are several hundred anti-Semitic hate crimes reported every year in France.





This is not to say that the majority of the present French population is anti-Semitic, Indeed, many tens of thousands demonstrated against anti-Semitism just a couple of weekends ago.





But racism and anti-Semitism are serious problems in France and express themselves in ways that are quite shocking.




|||



Says the expert from Flint, Texas




|||



Hmmm...interesting, my Texas friend. Though I haven%26#39;t been in Paris very long, I%26#39;ve yet to feel anyone%26#39;s brazen dislike. However, when I was living in Texas and driving through the Western part of the state with some friends, we elected the %26#39;whitest%26#39; of the bunch to get out and pump gas at the only station for miles around because there was a KKK flag flying high. Does that mean I don%26#39;t like Texas? Of course not...there are dumb people everywhere, and that%26#39;s not a reflection of the entire state. I love Texas, as a matter of fact! However, in the original thread, the poster asked if he would feel comfortable here. Since I don%26#39;t know any French antisemitic words, I would be more likely to totally miss something here (if I happen to run into the rare jerk) than I would in English...i.e. the other day, when an American tourist referred (in a very negative way) to a New York Jew as a %26#39;bagel.%26#39;


So I%26#39;m simply reassuring the original poster that I feel just as comfortable here as in the USA (coming from a so-called %26#39;bagel,%26#39;--and I do wish I had never heard that come out of someone%26#39;s mouth--take it as you see fit).

No comments:

Post a Comment