Tuesday, March 27, 2012

LV bags from europe

Anybody knows that how many bags can I buy and bring back to the US w/o incurring any additonal taxes? Some of my friends ask me to buy LV bags there cuz the price is lower there compared to the prices here.




|||



I think it%26#39;s something like $500.00 and customs wants you to list all the items. But check with them for exact. If you spend more than 147 euros at a time in one shop you can submit paperwork to get the 25% tax they charge refunded. It%26#39;s easy, the window is located right next to the information counter at the airport, at least CDG airport. They stamp the paperwork and then you pop it in the yellow post box a few feet away. Make sure you have your receipts and the items available if they choose to inspect them. The refund goes back on your credit card-it may take a while though. It made me appreciate our 8% sales tax in the US, the French pay 25%. Oh well I think they get free medical care though. I guess there are pro%26#39;s and con%26#39;s in all countries. Happy shopping I love LV.




|||



Sorry if this question may seem dumb but does that 25% tax get added on top of the bag%26#39;s price listed in the store?



ex. an LV satchel has a tag of 500 Euros. would it be 625 euros (500+125) or is it included in the 500?



on a side note, can someone answer the same question pertaining to restaurants? for example if a restaurant has a 30 Euro prix-fixe, does it already include the 15% tax/tip?




|||



The price includes the tax which is actually 19.6 percent. You can get a tax refund which is actually around 12 percent rather than the full 19.6. Some shops offer instant tax refunds now. The limit is 800 dollars per person. Of note, LV restricts the number of bags one person can buy. I think it is limited to 2 bags. They take your passport number and enter it into their computer so you cannot simply go to another store.




|||



Tax and tip are included in the price of the meal. If service is acceptable you can leave a little more. I usually leave 1 euro per person on a full meal. For coffee or a drink at a cafe I usually leave around 30 to 50 cents. If you are going to a very high end restaurant you could leave as much as an additional 5 to 10 percent.




|||



You are now allowed I believe $800 in personal exemptions (tax free) from the EU by US Customs. This was changed due to falling currency values with the dollar. I believe anything else you declare above that is charged (I think?) 2 percent.




|||



I just checked the U.S cutoms web and you are allowed $800 (hardly enough for one bag) but if you are travelling with a family member you can combine the amounts. Over that you will be taxed at 3%. I did learn something new, you can only bring one liter of alcohol in as part of an exemption.




|||



thank you very much...





i%26#39;ve been wondering that for awhile now about the inclusion of taxes into the stated price




|||



Thank you for all info. you provided here. By the way, anybody know when the LV stores offer promotions, sales, etc. in europe or in any particular country there? Any info. will be helpful. I%26#39;m planning go there in this coming fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment