Tuesday, April 24, 2012

great extended stay in london

Just started using TA and since I had such a great time In London a few years ago I thought I%26#39;d post my experience, so here goes...(of course it was a while ago-3 years- so i%26#39;m just picking things out of my journal that I thought others would find helpful-prices may not be completely accurate)



I went to London as a medical student rotation with Kings college/London (found it on the internet). They offered many different rotations and my friend and I were able to arrange rotations at the same time, even though we were arranging from different schools/states. (I went to Ohio State, she went to Miami in Fl). I did a hypertension clinic and she did rheumatology. ANyway, arranging that whole thing was a little bit of a pain in the butt....lots of phone calls, e-mails, etc.... but we finally secured a month (february) at Guy%26#39;s Hosp and St. Thomas @ Waterloo. So next was trying to find a place to stay for the month.



My friend found this place just outside of london (www.cottageguide.co.uk/bemyguestinlondon/) I was skeptical because it was outside of London, and I thought transportation was gonna be a pain, but once we got there, it was actually very convenient for where we were going to work everyday. (you can also just search %26quot;79 venner rd sydenham london%26quot;, to find the place. A very tall strange man picked us up from the airport and brought us to his tiny car where he locked the keys in the trunk and had to climb through the hatch to let us in. Then he drove like a maniac to the house. The house is in a residential area, and we met the (kind of uptight) owner of the studio, Kathy Thompson, who ended up being very nice and helpful. The studio was 478 pounds for the month, 15 pounds for the driver and 100 pounds deposit. The room was VERY clean, with shower in the room, TV, big closets, toaster, fridge, which was great for an extended stay %26#39;cuase we could buy groceries and keep them without a problem. Also, there are about 4 studios total in the house, so it was great when my boyfriend came to visit, then my family a week later- they could just rent out another studio (which was also very clean, nice windows, etc...) You can rent the studios for the week. The house looked like it was mostly rented to businessmen, and it was very quiet. 2 tube stops in the neighborhood brought you to London bridge station or Victoria, depending on which stop you used. Very convenient! it was also nice that you could just read on the tube and then in 15-20 mins you arrived at the stop, really minimal walking. ANyway, the studio was in Sydenham and I%26#39;m not from london,so i don%26#39;t know how that neighborhood is, but for the month we were there, we used the local grocery store, local indian restaurants, and pubs and had a great time...no problems.





If anyone is looking to do a medical rotation in london for a month, Kings college is a great way to arrange it because they seem to understand that although you want to learn about medicine there, you also want to sightsee. My schedule and my friends schedule was great! Plenty of time to sightsee.





Anyway, more to come later if anyone is interested.




|||



Hi, you do realize you have posted your trip report on your London adventures( LOL sounds like you had lots) on the %26quot; Paris %26quot; forums . I bet if you post this on the London forum you would get a lot more replies!



Sounds like you sure had a great experience!




|||



oops! I though I posted it wrong.... i%26#39;ve posted it correctly this time ( i think....)

No comments:

Post a Comment