Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Traveliing with 90 yr old and 15 yr old need cool hotel for...

Hi Everybody, I LOVE your forum. I can%26#39;t believe how helpful, kind and generous you all have been. I%26#39;ve been browsing like crazy. Travelnutty, and oh Lord forgive me I forgot your name, and you were so helpful, but thank you, thank you so much.



Here is my dillema. I%26#39;m going to be travelling with my elderly Mom, her housekeeper, and my fifteen year old son and want to make the best of things and of course have a great time.



My Mother will be turning ninety on July 31 and we are going to be taking a Viking river cruise for about a week for her. We%26#39;ll be ending up in Paris in August. The Viking cruise people have a supplemental stay arrangement for a measly three days in Paris at Le Meridien Montparnasse. I%26#39;ve picked apart the net looking for info on this hotel and frankly it seems very businessy, boring, cold, and not exactly like the kind of place my son and I, or my Mom, would enjoy so...pass.



I have to go to my Mom%26#39;s today and am under pressure from her to book a hotel, sigh. I might be able to buy some more time and stall a bit as long as we book the cruise today.



Mom is wealthy, but thinks she is poor, she is footing the bill. In her glory years she stayed at the GeorgeV and the Crillon, when she was being more thrifty she stayed at the Lotti. The last time we went we stayed at Hotel de Louvre and I really liked it but because FOOD IS EVERYTHING to my Mom, (and frankly so is easy access to her room and cabs) she didn%26#39;t like it, because she didn%26#39;t like the restaurant.



Poor Mom, obviously at her age, she can%26#39;t walk any neighborhoods or get around much, so room service, or at least a good hotel restaurant is of paramount importance to her. I tried to persuade her to allow us to rent one of these lovely apartments we found because since she will be spending so much time in the room, a lovely bedroom with a living room and a kitchen would be great for her, then she can take her nurse, who is coming with us, and we could save a bit of money and do our own cooking. This might still be an option. Are there any people you like or trust? We%26#39;ve been checking out Parisperfect.com.



Wherever we end up I%26#39;m hoping Mom could go to some shops or maybe a favorite museum or park, during the day, while my son and I take the metro and walk around, and then we could meet up for a dinner at an expensive restaurant, which again is pretty much all she really cares about, comfort and food.



Now, my son and I are very hippie, (we go to Burning Man every year) funky, fun, liberal, artsy, New York downtown type of people. My idea of fun is a good flea market or swap meet, and I like the feel of really living in the city we visit. We want our hotel to have charm and a view of rooftops, buildings, trees, basically life as seen from the window, and we%26#39;d love to be close to tons of fun and funky stores, restaurants, cafes, markets, movie theatres, museums, well, life.



In the past we%26#39;ve always stayed in the 1st, but I%26#39;d like to try something different, I love the Marais (sp?) but I don%26#39;t know if Mom will dig the whole rough hewed beamed celinged vibe of some of the hotels. She likes pretty. Someone mentioned St. Germain de Pres?



So to sum up this overly long post; Mom needs a hotel that won%26#39;t cost more than say 350.00 to 400.00 per night per room, (we%26#39;ll need two, hopefully adjacent) with an elevator because she can%26#39;t walk stairs, someone who can order taxis, a good restaurant open for all three meals, room service if possible, and a big comfortable grandish room, or at least a very pretty girly, or super cool modern room. I don%26#39;t think she%26#39;ll care about the area as long as she has most of these things. Whereas we just want to have fun.



Any ideas? I%26#39;m at such a loss.



Thanks so much.



Hugs from a new pal,


Jacqui



PS: Link to my Live Journal; http://jacqui.livejournal.com




|||



Just posted reply and do not know where it went...?



1. Relais Saint Germain



2. Pavillon de la Reine



3. Hotel Balzac with fabulous chef Pierre Gagnaire and Champs near by for a 15 years old to explore alone.




|||



Last September, my family (wife and two kids) and her mom and dad (aged 70 and 75) stayed in a Parisperfect apartment. I will say simply that they are fairly depticted on the web site, which is to say beautiful. As one family owns all of the apartments I think you can rely on their consistent quality. Their locations are exceptionally convenient for daily life as the 7th is very residential and very nice. Also the staff is very helpful and speaks english. We like the units so much we are returning this fall.





For Hotels in your price range check:





Hotel Pont Royal in the 7th www.hotel-pont-royal.com





Hotel Lutetia in the 6th www.lutetia-paris.com

No comments:

Post a Comment