Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Paris to Germany...how to get there...which city to...

Hi guys, I%26#39;m spending my honeymoon in London and Paris and am thinking about traveling over to Germany. I thought about going by train but it looks like that might take awhile. Which would be the best way to travel and which site should I book rail tickets thru? TIA




|||



There is an overnight train from Paris to Munich with sleeper cars. It leaves about 10:45 PM and arrives in Munich just before 9 AM. This is a pleasant way to travel and you will %26quot;save time%26quot; by traveling while you sleep, but since it is your honeymoon, be aware that the cars have bunk beds! You can get the most complete schedules at:



www.reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en Many U.S. travelers buy tickets ahead through raileurope, but this can cost more unless you are also buying a train pass. Whether or not you need a pass depends how much train traveling you plan to do. Happy honeymoon.




|||



www.raileurope.co.uk/eurostar/index.asp



I don%26#39;t know where in Germany you want to go, but from Paris to Munich is about 65 GBP.





You can also fly from Paris to Dortmund or Berlin via EasyJet.




|||



There is also a Thalys connection (express train) from Paris to Aachen and Cologne - this takes about 3 hrs 50 min, and costs €64 (return ticket, 2nd class). www.thalys.fr




|||



Thanks for the suggestions!!!





I checked out easyjet.com, great site, couldn%26#39;t believe how cheap the flights were from Paris to Berlin. I might fly since it was so cheap.





I also checked out the rail site, it said that prices weren%26#39;t available. Do you know how far in advance you can buy tickets thru the site?





Thanks again guys!!!




|||



Don%26#39;t forget the various taxes when flying - these tend to add up. Also, the cheaper airlines typically use airports that are far away from the centre. And they advertise rates that are only available for a few seats on each flight, months in advance!




|||



Hi everyone,





I have a similar question... but more about bookings.





I want to catch a night train on May 21 from Paris to Munich... and I%26#39;m not sure of the most cost effective way to do it.





I%26#39;m thinking that a seat would do me (I%26#39;m on a bit of a budget!), but I wasn%26#39;t sure whether to book it through one of the many websites or on the day.





Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!





Thanks so much!





Cheers, Kiz




|||



Go to http://www.whichbudget.com, and you%26#39;ll realise that plenty of low cost airlines fly between Paris and various German cities: easyJet for Dortmund and Berlin, German Wings for Cologne, and Air Berlin for plenty of cities including Munich and Frankfurt. IMHO a night train is long, not as romantic as it sounds, and expensive. The only exception would be the Thalys to Cologne, but that%26#39;s a day train.




|||




Fantastic!! Thanks Bob!!



I can%26#39;t believe how cheap flights are in Europe!! For me to fly return to Sydney (I live 7 hours away) is $360 AUD -- and that%26#39;s the discount fare!!!



I thought the train was a good idea in that I could kill two birds with the one stone... a night%26#39;s accomodation and getting myself to Munich.



But for an extra few dollars... it sounds like I might be best to get to Munich in no time and all and have a good nights sleep in a proper bed!



Thanks so much for the suggestion!!




|||



There are cheap offers for the night trains starting from as little as 19 EUR one way - and contrary to airlines, there are no additional costs. That%26#39;s what you pay city center to city center. Travel in such a way isn%26#39;t very comfortable indeed, but it isn%26#39;t that bad either and if on budget, worth consideration.





www.nachtzugreise.de




|||



As opposed to what one may think arriving after a night in a train isn%26#39;t like you have spent a night in bed. You will be exhausted!



In my opinion and on Bob%26#39;s behalf I think that if you have time enough ahead to book flights you get them cheaper and you really save time, a night more in Munich is much more exciting than a night on the train.



As for cities to visit in Germany, I think the hottest spot is Berlin. Munich is culturally very interesting and Hamburg is a harbour city full of energy. These would be my favourite.

No comments:

Post a Comment