Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Driving In Paris

I will be arriving in Paris early March. We have rented a car for our entire stay. We will be staying in Paris in the 7th for a few days and then heading to Disney and the Champagne region. Can any one tell me how long the drive is from CDG to Paris and from Paris to Disney. Also any suggestions on the best traffic friendly way to get to Paris our flight arrives at 1100 Please tell me that rush hour will be over. I need tips on Parking and driving habits. I live in Italy so I think I can handle it. Am I crazy for attempting this..




|||



CDG to Paris is 30 to 45 minutes depending on where in Paris you are going. Paris to Disney is also about 30-45 mins. At 11 am the rush hour is over.





Parking is very limited at street level. You can drive around for 30 mins looking for a space. However, there are many underground pay lots that are very clean, well lit and secure. They are shown by a large blue sign with a capital P.





If you do choose to park on street level, you will need to go to a %26quot;Tabac%26quot; buy a carte de stationnement that you insert into the parking meter. It will despense a ticket that you put on your dash. There isnt a meter at every space but rather a meter per block so you have to look for it. Meters no longer accept change.





In many areas parking is free after 7 pm until 8 am in the morning as well as Sat and Sunday.




|||



It is more of a bother than a pleasure to have a car while in Paris.



If it is not too late, I%26#39;d pick the car up when leaving Paris and heading for Disneyland.




|||



Yes, I confirm, a car in Paris is a nightmare, not to drive, but to park. You%26#39;ll end up paying expensive parking in a parking lot and not using the car, money better spent in a metro card, even a few taxis if you need them. Would you rent a car if you stayed in Manhattan? Well, it%26#39;s more or less the same picture with Paris.




|||



Well if I might add my 2 cents, as Bob said parking can be a pain in the b*tt but I have never problems finding a spot in the 7th. On the other hand if you find a regular parking on street level, you can either buy this parking card (10 Euros) and pay between 1 and 2€/hour or just leave the car without paying and taking the risk of a ticket. The fee for parking without paying is 11€ and you get 1/day maximum, so if you do the math it is cheaper than paying regulary and even more cheaper than going into an underground parking (~30€/24hrs).



Also the probability of getting a ticket every day is kind of small, remember this only works for regular parkings on street level, every spot that is crossed with yellow lines (livraison) is tabu during the week and so are those showing a little whellchair on them. For both these parking types tickets go up to 35€ and you risk the car being taken away.




|||



Parking is just half the nightmare for new arrivals. The other half is figuring out all the one way streets!




|||



Parking is just half the nightmare for new arrivals. The other half is figuring out all the one way streets!




|||



That%26#39;s half the fun Phread!! I love driving in this city, well when I drive and am not stucked in trafic jams...




|||



Silly enough it is cheaper for me to rent the car from the airport. Than it is for me to pay for shuttle service to Paris Pay 20 for euro a day for parking for 2 days then Pay to take the Metro to DLP Pick up the rental in DLP and then pay for the shuttle back to the airport. How sad is that. Our hotel offers parking . I drive and find Parking in Catania Sicily. I think I can handle this one.



Thanks for all of the info.




|||



I was actually suggesting that you pick the car up in Paris, and drive to DLP, as well as back to the airport. I don%26#39;t know Catania, but it if it is anything like the Italian cities we drive to most summers, it is not as dense as Paris and Italians are better drivers than the French.



Do get a recent map that indicates the oneways.




|||



I have rented with a navigational device. Armed with that and my map . I think I will figure something out. Thanks for the reply.

No comments:

Post a Comment