Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Passage Brady - Indian area?

Hi,



I just had a thought that while I%26#39;m in Paris I might want to try some Indian food and check out the Indian area in Paris ( I am indian)....



I did a search and came up with the Passage Brady in the 9th?



But my guidebook references this area as a bit dodgy and one to avoid...Will I be ok if I visit during the day? Are there certain streets I shouldn%26#39;t go through? (BTW I am a female travelling alone)



I look forward to some feedback.



Thanks,



Ozgirl




|||



Indian food in France is very tame in terms of flavours .. adapted to suit the local palate. The best Indian restaurant we%26#39;ve foubd is actually in the 1st, the name escapes me for the moment.





Is Passage Bardy really dangerous ? No, but it could be construed as being intimidating - the waiters stand outside trying to lure you in and it all feels very pressured. I%26#39;m female, walking thorough Brady with a male %26amp; a female friend, one guy even suggested that he %26#39;would make love to me%26#39; after the meal ! Nothing sordid you understand he had a noce room !!





Anyway another Indain area is north of the Gare du Nord, the Ganesh festival street parade takes place near La Chapelle metro.




|||



Go at lunchtime and you will not be at all intimidated




|||



My husband is Indian so we decided to check out the restaurants in the Passage Grady. We sought the advice of a guard at Versailles who was from Pondecherry on which one to choose. Even with the advice, we were very disappointed in our meal. I didn%26#39;t find the area all intimidating, and you would be fine during the day, but personally I think you are more at risk of (REALLY) lousy food than anything else......I would save your money and enjoy another cuisine instead.......IMO. Janet




|||



Hi,



Thanks for the tips. I found a restuarant called Maharah on Boulevard Saint-Germain which looks good. (Has anyone been there?)



If I get desperate for Indian food I%26#39;ll head there:)Otherwise I%26#39;ll wait till I get to London!



Cheers,



Ozgirl




|||



As a rule, the French don%26#39;t like heat with their foods, so all of the best yummy cuisines of the world get distressfully dulled down in Paris. I have yet to try find a good Indian place here......




|||



Passage Brady is a good place for Indian food.



Paris however - unlike London - is not very well known for Indian food.



There is also an Indian area in the 18th arr.



on the back of gare du Nord.



Passage Brady is NOT dangerous. It is a mix of population that is very lively, loud and can appear threatening for somebody used to an all white are. I would not go there at 2:00 a.m. alone however as it is close to a red district and more.




|||



phread, here you go again... heat numbs down taste, very hot food can%26#39;t be yummy, it%26#39;s just... hot, fun though it might be. It might be yummy somewhere behind the chilli, but where? No nuances, no subtlety, just fire. Don%26#39;t forget that spices were sought after in Europe in the middle ages because they made it possible to eat meat that had, say, passed its prime.




|||



Bob,



As an Indian I can say that it%26#39;s the combination of spices that give a dish taste and not just chilli. Infact there are diferrent types of hot. There the basic too much chilli hot but if an Indian dish is made right it that combination of spices that gives it taste and a bit of oommph...




|||



Bob, you will find many people disagree with you. Not only the billions of Asians and Indians, but many people of European descent who enjoy spicy, flavorful food. The notion hot food can%26#39;t be flavorful is patently ridiculous.




|||



Bob, Even chilis have flavour, smoky, sweet, and tangy come to mind. With all that heat is plenty of flavour, subtlty and layers of textures too sublime to recount.

No comments:

Post a Comment